Pizzas on the Grill were a staple growing up. They were my mom's summer equivalent to Cranberry Pork Roast and they're my favorite thing to serve and eat - for just the two of us or for casual dinner parties with friends and family.
For the Dough:
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Honey
I make the dough in my
I like to pre-make my dough, so I split the dough into 8 pieces and round them out with floured hands, then put the individual sized pizza doughs in the oven on low heat - 3-5 minutes per side. You could also pre-grill the dough - use extra olive oil and to keep it from sticking to the grill while it's tacky. After the dough is pre-baked or grilled, you can freeze extras for a quick and easy weeknight dinner.
Assemble your Pizzas:
Now's the fun part. You can make your pizzas however you want. Traditional Tomato sauce, pesto or cream sauces. Pepperoni, Sausage, Hawaiian. The sky's the limit.
Our favorite combo:
Pesto topped with feta cheese, artichoke hearts, roma tomatoes, oregano and a little bit of mozzarella.
Since you pre-baked the dough, just grill until the cheese has melted on the top of your pizzas. Enjoy!




When you pre-bake the dough, do you use a pizza stone, or a cookie sheet? Or do you just toss it right on the oven racks?
ReplyDeleteI just toss them directly on the oven racks - they're small enough and in the oven for such a short period of time that they don't need anything supporting them.
ReplyDeleteI love pizza and especially pizza on the grill. We have been experimenting with baking a pizza completely on the grill. Our latest trick is to use a terracotta plant saucer as the pan. It works really well!!!
ReplyDeleteThis is making me so hungry.
ReplyDeleteI would be afraid that the ends of the dough would sag into the flames of the grill. Is the dough stiff enough not to do this?
ReplyDeleteSo, in an hour when my pre-scheduled post appears it's going to look like a copy cat. I promise I'm not, we just think alike- great minds and all that.
ReplyDeleteI love that you make personal sized pizza. And, I'm really wanting to try grilling pizza. I mean, I love grilling, and I love pizza. I can't wait to try them together.
ReplyDeleteAs for pesto... I don't think I've ever had it? It sounds good, I'm sure I'd like it. Do you make it yourself?
Kim, with the garden you have growing, pesto should be the next thing on your list to make! Here's my (or as with all of these recipes, Caroline's) recipe: http://mckevitts.blogspot.com/2008/07/moms-perfect-pesto.html
ReplyDeleteI'm dying to try my hand at grilling pizza. This sounds yummy!
ReplyDelete