Pin It button on image hover

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Virtual House Hunters

Let me just start this post with the following disclaimer: We're not moving, won't even be considering it until that MBA is complete, and absolutely love our current house.  But we like to play a game.  Or, I should say, I like to play a game, and Mr. B nicely puts up with it.

Throughout the week, I'll send B pictures of houses I find on our local MLS site with email subject lines like "I have big plans for this kitchen" or, because I know he can't resist the persuasive powers of a two foot tall blonde that runs around our house, "Casco has big plans for this yard and thinks we should offer  (insert 10 - 20% off asking price here)   ".  B usually responds with "Wow, Casco has his pulse on the Colorado real estate market and seems to have big plans for just about every yard in the Denver metro area."  

One time - when I sent him a house on 2.5 acres with a pool and a decently low asking price he did come home from work and say, "Let's go drive by that house you sent me" - and Mr. B was seriously crunching numbers and planning to call a Realtor.  I was the one who kept saying, "Honey, you know these houses I send you are just a game.  I don't actually want to move, I love our house.  And Casco would miss Lucy."  I'm a real mess.

Last week I found the only other house I couldn't stop thinking about:



Is that not total Father of the Bride house potential?  A little landscaping, a little paint...a little dream house.



The inside and backyard are a mess - which of course appealed to me even more - and it's in a part of town I know next to nothing about but have never considered living in.  So it's a good thing this is just a virtual game I play and we are living on a strict budget that doesn't allow for us to upgrade houses right now, or else I'd have already made an offer and be ripping out wood paneling and green shag carpet.

Anyone else a virtual house hunter and day dreamer?  Tell me I'm not the only one.




16 comments:

  1. I love this post because I have always loved the Father of the Bride house too! The house you found definitely has the potential to be that charming!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally a virtual house hunter. Probably because we plan on dying in our house. I feel like I'm missing out on a lifetime renovating adventures sometimes. Not that we don't already have enough to do in our current house... but it's fun to dream!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to be, but now we are in what we hope is our Final House, so now I prefer to house hunt for other people. Like you! Except you KNOW I am only willing to look in one neighborhood for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband and I do this all the time! We're currently in a vintage apartment that we love, but do want to buy a house in the next couple of years--once hubs completes grad school next year. With the deals available now, it's just too hard to resist that virtual map!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah, I do this too...but I've stopped recently, because I get so irritated to see the GORGEOUS houses that are now way less expensive than what we bought our "starter" house for!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I too am a virtual house hunter, we rent to I, ahem, daily, look for places. We too are waiting for an MBA to finish but it's so fun to look. I also love the way that you found the FOB house, a dream house of course!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! This is my Saturday morning ritual. We won't be able to buy a new one for a couple years but it's fun to dream.

    ReplyDelete
  8. we totally do this all the time ... i mean what else would i do all day at work?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Total "Father of the Bride" potential... although I wouldn't call it "little."

    I love to look at houses. We get an email from our realtor every time a house pops up under a certain (very low threshold). Usually, they are trash. But, that's actually how we found our next home. But, I haven't had the heart to stop the emails, so I still get them.

    That's dangerous.

    (And, PS - 2.5 acres and a pool? Dreamy.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Me too, me too! I cruise the MLS almost every weekend! I'm wild. My fave is coloproperty.com.

    And OMG YES! The Father of the Bride house was always my dream house (until I saw Something's Gotta Give).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow- we would we great irl friends- I LOVE that house, but no one else really remembers it. Or maybe I'm friends with the wrong people.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful house! I love playing virtual house hunters. I am addicted to the MLS and will probably never move again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do this too. It's fun for me, my husband doesn't take it as well as your's does. He gets all worked up explaining why we can't move. Listing all the reasons, like we aren't done with remodeling the house we have, our daughter needs to finish high school, we can't afford it. Then I interupt him and explain....I am only dreaming honey!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE that FOB house! I did the real estate hunt thing for a few months till we found the house we ended up buying and up to a year AFTER we had moved in. It drove my husband crazy. He kept saying 'we just moved in, why are you still looking?'. I was addicted. Too bad houses don't come with a 30/60/90 day return policy cuz I would've been asking for a refund or exchange.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG Right now I'm looking for a house to hopefully move into during my husband's residency. I literally said, "Oh I love this house, it's SO Father of the Bride." And my husband looked at me like I was nuts! But anyway, you're not alone, and I think pretty much every girl dreams of a Father of the Bride house :)

    ReplyDelete