Pin It button on image hover

Monday, November 15, 2010

Stray Saturday

Mr. B and I can't stand to see a lost pet - whether it's just a sign on a mailbox, or a dog roaming the neighborhood, it breaks our hearts.  In general, we try to lure lost dogs to us - but they generally run the other direction.  And then there's not much you can do about it.

Two Fourth of Julys ago, B saw a yellow lab wandering down our street.  He went outside and she ran away from him, but I got in the car with Casco's leash and collar and followed.  B lost the dog, but I picked her up in a front yard a few blocks away.  She jumped willingly into my car, we brought her home, posted on Craigslist, made signs for the neighborhood and eventually took her to the 24 hour vet to have her scanned for a microchip.  The vet reunited her with her owners and the next morning we got a very grateful phone call.  The owners wanted to know where we'd found her - and as they described where they lived, I realized that I had picked the dog up out of her front yard.  Granted, if Casco were hanging out in our front yard we'd want someone to take him inside until we were home - but Mr. B likes to refer to July 4, 2009 as the day I stole a dog out of her own yard. 

So Saturday, I was hosting a baby shower.  B took Casco and Thomas for a walk so that I could get the house clean and food prepped before he left to watch football for the afternoon.  And ten minutes into my cleaning spree, B comes home - with a stray dog (no collar) in tow.  So B took the dog immeditely to the vet who scanned the dog and found a phone number for the owner  - which was disconnected.  We posted signs, posted an ad on Craigslist, checked whitepages.com and Facebook for the owner's name (the only person with that name within a 30 mile radius did not have a dog).  And then it was time for B to leave so the babyshower could start. 

The dog was cute and knew commands but was nervous and annoying.  Jumped on the door, dug holes in the yard, barked.  I finally put him in the vacant yard next door and went back to get him at the end of the party.  And after the party I called B and said "This is not working".  B was sad - last week a dog was put down at the Boulder Humane Society because the shelter couldn't find the dog's owner "fast enough".  But I was dreading a full night with this anxious dog.

And ten minutes after B got my "This is not working" call (and was headed home to help me make it work because he was smitten from the second he met this dog) , he got a call from a guy in the neighborhood who lost his dog.  He'd gone to the CU game (let's hear it for wins for the Buffs and the Broncos this weekend!) and their door had come unlatched.  The guy was a baketcase.  He came to the house, and I could tell from the way the dog was jumping and wagging his tail as the owner's car drove up that he recognized his owner.  The guy was sobbing - hugging the dog, baby-talking to him, crying some more.

It was a happy ending.  And we'd want someone to take Casco in (bad behavior and all) if they found him loose on the street (or, you know, on our front porch).  But it was a wild Saturday - and a two dog ownership life flashed before my eyes and I realized I'm really good with just Casco.

17 comments:

  1. It was a GREAT shower, stray dog notwithstanding. And also, if you ever did become a two-dog family I suspect you'd select a dog who was slightly better behaved.

    So glad the story had a happy ending! Hopefully now the owner will update his microchip info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i loved that you rescued a dog out of his own yard. henry bolted about a year ago (in hot pursuit of some wild animal) and when i chased him down i found some people taking his collar off, dropping it on the ground, and trying to bring him inside their apartment. i was not happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA! My husband is a sucker, too. He brought home a dog he had found walking the neighborhood and apparantly he also had "stolen" the dog from right outside its' home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have good pet karma coming back to you. Better safe than sorry with the first one too! I can't help but laugh... totally something I would do!! LOL ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha!!! I love that you stole a dog from your neighbor!
    And I got all teary at the dog's reunion. I'm such a sucker for animal stories. So much so that I'm banned from watching ANY animal movies EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha that's amazing that you stole a dog. would be even better if it was out of the yard of the lady with all of the pots :)

    we are the same exact way - ever since roxy got lost two years ago, i feel morally obligated to help any stray -but usually they just run away. we had one recently, and the owners (neighbors) were like, oh thanks, and didn't seem to care at all (they had a sheet pan blocking a hole in their fence, just propped up - ugh).
    so for as annoying as your dog was, at least the guy was grateful, and i'm sure that made you feel good!

    and i've said it before i think - keep your home a one-dog family. i love both of ours... but man, it's a hassle sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy he found his owners!! Yay!

    Thanks again for hosting a great shower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yay - reuniting pets with their owners is the happiest kind of happy endings :-)

    Thanks again for Saturday, Emily!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh you are good and nice. I run away from animals!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh you are good and nice. I run away from animals!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my gosh, I "rescued" a dog from their front yard once too in exactly the same way! I'm relieved not to be the only person to have made that mistake ::blushes:: Sometimes your good intentions just get the better of you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad that this story has a happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You guys are so sweet! Although I did laugh after the first story. I tried to bring a stray dog that was hanging around the Aruba airport. The poor thing was so hot and hungry but John convinced me customs would have issues with it. Glad everything worked out for the best.

    oh, and if I ever see Casco running through my 'hood I'll keep him safe for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad the owner found his dog and that they clearly loved each other, even if the dog annoyed you guys. That always makes me smile - when a person and a dog are clearly meant for each other.

    There used to be a neighborhood dog who got off his chain CONSTANTLY and came to our house. It was like he just wanted to hang out with us. His owners always had him out front on a chain, and I think he just wanted some lovin'.

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow! so glad you found the owner before it was too late...I would have gone crazy! Thank you so much for your sweet message. We are soo excited! Can't wait to meet our baby. Especially excited that he or she will be a new born!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This story made me smile. Whenever my husband sees a dog running loose he brings it home to try to find it's owner. Which is a bit of a challenge because our 2 are definitely a "pack" and do not welcome newcomers very nicely. So he sits outside with the dog until we can find the owner. Glad about the happy reunion!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Honestly, I may not give money to homeless people panhandling on the streets but I WILL go out of my way to rescue a stray animal. I was late to my own bridal shower b/c I stopped to pick up a dog wandering on S. Boulder Rd a few yrs ago. When Mr. FC used to survey enviro sites, he brought home 3 lost pooches.

    But you officially win for picking up a lost dog from his own yard. OMG! You crack me up!!

    ReplyDelete