Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

TGFY: Thank Goodness for Youngsters

Remember when I asked if you love or hate houseplants? You were all divided on the issue, which left me divided about how to display the plant that Mr. B's mom gave us. I don't love the idea of plant stands, shelving units just for plants, adding furniture to our already cramped floor plan, etc. And with my aversion to clutter, I was terrified that adding plants would put me over the "too many things on surfaces" edge. I was really drawing a blank when only a few days after posting my question, John and Sherry over at This Young House dove into the plant posts. And that's when I knew: they would have the answer.

So I shot them an email, and Sherry responded immediately with suggestions for planters and a promise of a follow up post on how to display houseplants. And boy did she follow through. Check out their post here, and here's my favorite plant photo they posted:


I love the height of the plant and white ceramic planter. Could these two be any classier? Thanks youngsters!

I'm off to find a white IKEA-like planter for the office plant without trekking to the actual closest IKEA in Utah. Remember, IKEA and I are on a break until they make good on their promise and break ground in Colorado. Unless, of course, I just happen to be passing through Salt Lake City, and IKEA wants to buy me a drink. Then, all bets are off. Relapses happen in break-ups, it doesn't make you a bad person, right?

9 comments:

  1. Thats going to look so good!! I can't wait to see pics!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hae heard a Denver IKEA is in the plans - in about a year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have one of those corn plants- I got it at target (of all places) for $15 about a year and a half ago. It almost died actually- last spring I took it with me to school as a prop for our spin on the book of Esther and Survivor, and when I buckled it into the passenger seat, the sun was so hot on the window it burned half its leaves off. I hope you are able to find a corn plant- they are great. (hopefully you will find a better potter too- ours is bright pink! Not so great for the bedroom.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm all for plants --- D has some great use of plants too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh...that looks fantastic!

    I don't have any house plants because it's a little overwhelming honestly, and I don't want to shell out that much $ on something I'll probably kill anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sheesh, you're making us blush. Thanks so much for the kind words! We're glad our little virtual vegetation tour helped. Happy house planting!

    xo,
    Sherry (& John)
    www.thisyounghouse.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are funny! try home depot...mine has tons of very reasonably priced planters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. there's an ikea in memphis! you could come here and visit my cute girls and go to the memphis one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea turning to those Youngsters, Em! GL with your white planter search. I hope you can find something that'll scratch the itch sufficiently while you and IKEA are on a break!

    ReplyDelete