Pin It button on image hover

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Curb Appeal: Making it Cozy

After our front steps overhaul, we thought we should put a little extra effort into the front yard. We had a dead tree that needed to be removed and replaced and a porch that - although it sported a porch swing - just didn't get much use or attention.

So I started by revamping our doormat, and went from there. Mr. B's wanted lights leading up our steps forever. So, with a Home Depot gift card in hand, we headed to our favorite (I jest...word to the wise, don't register at Home Depot) big box store and picked out these cute Craftman inspired solar lights.

They don't give off much light - at most you could call it a subtle glow, but Mr. I work for the Electrical Company is big on conserving energy. Meh. Apparently we need to straighten these puppies up, too. Good to know.

Let's walk up those steps and turn to our left, shall we? You'll see our porch swing. It's hung bare and solo for nearly two years. It needed fabric. It needed something. So, in the interest of saving money, I reusued a ticking stripe pillow. I told you I love ticking. It's not an outdoor fabric, but really, who cares? Outdoor fabric is scratchy anyway.



And then there was the solo issue. A two seater - three for a photo opp - swing isn't conducive to conversation. And my mom just happened to be ditching the rocking chairs she had on her porch for adirondacks.

Enter Mr. B's SUV (the energy conscience family member, keep in mind...) and two cans of white spray paint.


Add a ticking stripe pillow, and our little cottage is well accessorized while still appealing to my inner minimalist. Group photos coming as soon as the finishing touches - flowers - are complete. I'm thinking that 30+ plant pots might do the trick...

10 comments:

  1. Oh I love the rockers! That is very cozy! The pillows are very cute too! They are a must have. I agree about the solar lights...we have some in our backyard and not really much light...but they are solar, so we are doing our part too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really coming together! I love the white rockers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing what white paint can do! The combo of crisp white and the ticking fabric gives such a cottage coastal vibe, LOVE it.

    Now I can put my Hamptons house on the market and trot on over to hang out at your house. The Hamptons folks are boring anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really really want to put up a swing on our porch. I love the ticking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good. I love that swing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like it will be perfect! I love the swing and rocker. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. shutup. I love that rocker...and the pillows...and the lights. If you ever decide that you would like for me to babysit those items...just let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the rockers a lot. They look great.

    I like the lights, too. We've been considering getting a few.

    And don't get me started on the porch swing. I love it all (of course).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Silly you! Potted plants? What's wrong with planting them in the ground, right?

    I love the porch decorations. Great front appeal with energy right lights and all!

    Can't wait for your help (virtual decorating) with our townhouse. No photos yet, we're still unpacking but I'm hoping to send a bunch of BEFORE pictures your way by the end of June. With help from you and others (guess who) I'll have this place looking good in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice additions Em! I love the ticking pillows. And that rocker looks so pretty white. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete